Modern artists move out of their current boundaries to create unique artworks and express their ideas in a more beautiful way. Standard tools and art materials are not able to convey their thoughts and impress spectators. The level of creativity can be leveled up due to metallic drawing pencils, which help render dramatic and pop-out effects.
In this post, I’ve listed the best metallic colored pencils on the market. These top-rated media are chosen and ranked in accordance with their characteristics and customers’ reviews.
Top Metallic Colored Pencil Sets
Faber-Castell Metallic Colored Ecopencils
The set of 12 metallic pencils from Faber-Castell is a good choice for beginning artists and recommended for kids of 5+ years old. The media feature a hexagonal barrel, which prevents them from rolling off the desk. They have a colored wooden housing, which helps identify the shade easily. In addition, their leads are break-resistant and can last longer even if the pencils do fall from the drawing surface.
This manufacturer is known for producing quality art tools. This set of pencils is made with a special formula, which allows for easy color blending and undergoes no flaking. The pencils offer smooth application and bright color laydown. The fantastic shining and shimmering effects can be achieved on both white and dark paper.
The set is packaged in a cardboard box, which has a small window to see the media inside.
- Eco-friendly tools made from reforested wood
- Can be used on textured and dark colored paper
- A highly pigmented core
- The pencil lead is glued throughout the entire length of the barrel and is easy to sharpen
- Being non-toxic and acid-free, they are safe for kids
- Not quite good for coloring large areas
- Not lightfast
- Not numbered or labeled with individual names
Derwent Metallic Colored Pencils
This selection of the Derwent metallic pencils includes 12 media that arrive packaged in a metal tin, which can be reused to store old pencils. Also, this way of packaging allows keeping the pencils from damage during transportation.
The media feature a hexagonal grip and have copper barrels with color-dipped ends that help find the appropriate shade easily. The pigment core is strong and ensures intense color application. It adds dimension and shine to the drawn objects.
Made in Britain, the media are of professional quality and suitable for both novices and art experts. They are also available for sale in an extended range of 20 colors. All of them can also be purchased individually.
- Look outstanding, particularly on black paper
- The metallic formulation is good
- Smooth and almost creamy laydown
- Great at blending
- The color name is stamped on the barrel
- A little expensive
Crayola Metallic FX Colored Pencils
These metallic pencils from Crayola come in 8 pieces packaged in a cardboard box. Similar to other media manufactured by this reputable brand, their coloring quality is supreme. Made with young artists in mind, these tools are non-toxic and can be used by kids.
The pencils have a round body with the color of the housing that corresponds to the pigment core. The color name is printed on the barrel, which makes it very convenient to find the hue you need.
The tools are environmentally-friendly and made from reforested wood.
- Sharpen well
- A nice color selection
- The lead is strong and won’t break under pressure
- Offer smooth application
- Suitable for all types of coloring
- The metallic shimmering is hardly seen
- Since the pencils are round-shaped, they can roll off the desk
Sargent Art (SARAD) Metallic Colored Pencils
Other metallic pencils to try are the 12-piece set from Sargent Art. These tools arrive in a cardboard box with pre-sharpened tips. The pencils feature a round barrel, which is colored throughout its entire length. This makes color identification faster and easier. The pencil differentiation can be made only by color because the media don’t have the shade names indicated on their housing.
The lead offers smooth application, especially against the black background.
- Sharpen easily
- Good for blending
- The colors pop out on the page
- The selection lacks red hues
- The lead is very soft and difficult to control
- The colors are too pigmented and provide a minimal metallic finish
- They are hard to erase and leave stains
Spectrum Noir Metallic Art Sketching Drawing Coloring Pencils
Start to explore metallic pencils with this set of 12 media from Spectrum Noir. They provide a fantastic shimmering and highly reflective effect, especially on dark-colored and black paper. Thanks to a blendable wax-based formulation and a 4-mm core, the pencils offer incredible creamy application. They are archival, which means the drawing won’t fade over time. They are suitable for use by both beginning and professional artists.
As a bonus, these pencils are water-soluble and can be brushed over to get amazing luminescent results.
The tools feature a colored round barrel with one side indicating the company name and the pencil color, all performed in white print. The media come in a metal storage tin with a hinged lid. There is a plastic tray inside, which keeps each medium in its own slot.
- Richly pigmented
- Vibrant colors
- The metal box is convenient for traveling
- In some pencils, the leads are off-centered
- Some colors are similar
Set of 12 Metallic Color Pencils by Royal & Langnickel
These metallic pencils from Royal & Langnickel are available in a 12-count set. They come pre-sharpened and include assorted bright colors that work well over gray and black paper. The media are round and have the printed company name running along the colored barrel. The pencil lead is very soft, so this can affect the process of sharpening and result in the point breakage.
According to other artists’ reviews, the selection of shades in the set can vary, so expect to get a color collection that is different from the image in the commercial.
The tools are packed in a cardboard box.
- Smooth on paper
- Good at blending and shading
- Even color application
- The set includes similar colors
- Not super metallic – the drawing should be held at an angle to see the sheen
- The media are not marked with color names
Castle Art Supplies 48 Piece Metallic Colored Pencil Set
Discover gorgeous metallic effects with this collection of metallic pencils from Castle Art. With 48 assorted shades, you can add shining and glimmer highlights to your artwork. The pencils provide smooth and creamy application and ensure perfect blending, layering, and detailing.
The pencils look very sleek. Their barrel is round in shape and black in color. The end of each medium is capped with a hue identifier. The tools are named and numbered for a quick shade selection.
They arrive in a display metal tin with 2 trays inside. The tray removal is performed via 2 convenient loops.
The media come with a 20-page booklet with tips and demos on how to draw and create metallic mysteries. Also, it includes a 6-step fold-out tutorial, which helps create striking illustrations of a sea eagle and a blue-eyed tiger.
- Works on multiple surfaces (canvas, stone, metal, eggs, sandpaper, etc.)
- Can be used on both light and dark paper
- Arranged according to color grades
- A perfect gift idea
- Comes with multiple accessories, including a handbook, a tester sheet, and protector sheets
- The lead is break-resistant
- Not too metallic
- Have a high price tag
Bright Ideas Metallic Colored Pencils
Unleash your imagination with the Bright Ideas set of metallic pencils. They come in a sturdy cardboard case with 10 pre-sharpened media inside. This presentation box is good for gifting.
The pencils are hexagonal, which is the preferred shape of most artists. They feature a colored housing with a shade name printed in black on the barrel. The pencil lead is very soft and makes blending and shading easy, but it requires a manual sharpener to avoid lead breakage. The color saturation is awesome.
- The solid storage box is good for transportation
- The tools are shiny on both black and white paper
- With a soft lead, you don’t need much pressure to get the color
- Vivid assorted shades
- Perfect for burnishing
- Don’t leave a lot of metallic pigments on paper
- Look more impressive on dark paper
- The lead seems a bit waxy and doesn’t color well on smooth paper
OOLY Modern Metallic Drawing and Coloring Pencil Set of 12 Colors
With this set of metallic pencils from OOLY, you can bring a modern look to your creative projects, including calligraphy, drawing, and journaling.
The manufacturer puts the rainbow into your craft drawer. The selection includes 12 bright colors and is packed in a transparent plastic case (they are also available for sale in cardboard boxes). The Modern Metallics are triangular-shaped – they are convenient to use and won’t run away off the table. The entire barrel color corresponds to the shade of a pencil pigment, which makes a color selection faster. The lead is very soft, so the color application is smooth and effortless.
- An ergonomic grip
- The plastic storage pouch is portable and handy
- Offer a palette of vibrant hues
- The tips can break during sharpening
- The metallic feature is difficult to perceive
LYRA Super Ferby Set of 12 Metallic Colored Pencils
The LYRA Super Ferby metallic pencils offer awesome coloring effects to try. Made in Germany, these 12 media come in bright shades and feature a triangular shape. Each tool has a colored and lacquered housing. The additional information about the media including the color number is stamped in gold on the barrel. They arrive packaged in a cardboard box.
The hallmark of this collection is a giant pigment lead, which amounts to 6.25 mm. It makes the pencils extremely durable even with toddler use and allows artists to cover large areas. The pencils spot wood-sealed ends and make the core protected for kids who may put the media in their mouths.
The pencils are good at blending and mix well with regular color pencils. The application is creamy soft.
- The core is break-resistant
- The three-point grip is more comfortable for left-handed people and children
- The core wears off longer and requires less frequent sharpening
- Highly pigmented
- The pencils are not easy to sharpen due to their thickness
- A bit overpriced
Set of 6 Metallic Caran d’Ache Fancolor Watercolor Pencils
Try Swiss quality with this set of the Caran d’Ache Fancolor metallic pencils if you want to add glitter and sparkle to your artwork. In addition to being luminous, these media are water-soluble, so you can get aquarelle effects as well.
The pencils are hexagonal and feel natural in the hand. There are only 6 tools in the set. The housing of each medium is varnished in the color of the lead, which makes the shade identification faster. The 2.8 mm core is soft and provides smooth application.
The pencils are suitable for shading, wash-drawing, and hatching. They can be combined with oil pastels and gouache.
The set is protected in a slide-to-open plastic pouch with a cardboard sleeve.
- When wet, they respond like watercolors
- Made of certified cedar wood
- Densely pigmented
- The lead is strong and doesn’t crumble during sharpening
- The colors are not very metallic and become matt after water is added
- Don’t have a color name on the barrel
- Good for using in accent areas and not in larger drawing pieces
- A limited color selection
eeBoo’s Unicorn Metallic Color Pencil Set
This eeBoo set of metallic pencils includes 12 media and comes in a marvelous cardboard box illustrated by Kevin Hawkes. The media also look festive – they feature a round colored barrel similar to the pigment core and are decorated with gold stars.
The tools will inspire artists of all ages to start various art projects. They are perfect for adding details and highlights for coloring books. The core is pretty soft and doesn’t need the pressure to achieve intensive strokes.
- The set comes with a sharpener
- Have fantastic appearance
- A palette of vivid shades
- As a gift, the set can be paired with a unicorn sketchbook
- Don’t look too metallic
- A little hard to sharpen
If metallic pencils are new media for you, read these questions and answers that will help you fill your information gap. The section may be helpful for novice artists.
What Are Metallic Colored Pencils ✏️?
Metallic colored pencils will add a metallic effect to your drawing. The metallic color appears to be that of polished metal. The visual sensation associated with metal is its peculiar shine. The colors are made due to a combination of aluminum flakes and various pigments that have different particle sizes and weights. The most popular shades are gold, silver, copper, and bronze.
How to Use Metallic Pencils for Drawing?
Every artist ?? can experiment with this type of pencil to create the desired effects. You can fill in the whole drawing or color small details. These media can be combined with regular colored pencils, markers, paint, and watercolors.
Where to Buy ? Metallic Colored Pencil Set?
The above-reviewed pencil sets can be bought from the official website of the manufacturer. Ordering media directly from the company is often the easiest and fastest way of purchase. This is true when the manufacturer is located in the United States. To get collections from European producers, contact their official retailers in the USA.;
These media can also be found in large craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick, and on huge trading (and credible!) platforms like Amazon and eBay. Big marketplaces like Target, Walmart, and Costco offer these media for sale as well. Also, all vendors have pencils from other brands in stock such as Prismacolor, Galison, Heartybay, and many more.
Now, you have a general idea about the best metallic colored pencils. Heading to a craft store, you won’t be overwhelmed by the variety of options and brands offered for sale. The pencil sets that I’ve reviewed are decent media that can be purchased with no fear of damaging your artwork. Share your opinion about your favorite collection!
- 12 Metallic Colored EcoPencils – #9120412 – Faber-Castell USA – https://www.fabercastell.com/
- Derwent Metallic Pencil (12) Tin – https://www.derwentart.com/
- Metallic Colored Pencils, 8ct Coloring Set | Crayola – https://shop.crayola.com/
- Spectrum Noir Metallic Pencils (12pk) by Crafter’s Companion – https://www.spectrumnoir.com/
- Castle Arts 48 Piece Metallic Colored Pencil Set in Display Tin – https://castlearts.com/