An easel is an important thing for your children that offers a platform to express and explore their imaginary world. This is not just a piece of furniture or decoration that takes up a lot of space in a kids’ playroom. It helps unleash toddlers’ creativity, develop their educational skills, shape their handwriting, and discipline them.
WoWPencils is reviewing the 11 best models from leading brands that will make learning fun and entertaining. This will not be an idle purchase. Investing in an easel is a small price to pay for knowledge and skills received by small learners. Encourage them to love art and science since childhood.
Top Rated Easels for Kids
Hape All-in-1: Quality Construction for Years to Come
The All-in-One easel is the best-selling product from Hape. It is made from natural materials and meets the highest quality standards. In 2014, this easel was the winner of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award.
It features 2 sides where one surface is a black chalkboard and another is a white dry erase board. The white surface is also magnetic. All boards are water-resistant and easy to clean.
There is also a paper roll holder that sits on the peak of the construction. In the bottom and the top of each surface, there are magnetic bars that hold the paper in place.
The height of the easel can be adjusted to 3 various levels for younger and older kids. The construction is very solid and strengthened by a special tray, which is attached between the frame legs. It is also very comfortable to keep all your artistic utensils.
- Incorporates 2 different surfaces to work on (+ magnetic)
- The convenient location of the paper roll holder makes paper replacement easier
- A sturdy design
- Comes with bonus paint pots and a paper roll
- Made of wood and meets all safety standards
- The replacement paper rolls should be less than 17.75’’ wide. Less demanded, they are more difficult to buy
- Cannot be folded, needs to be disassembled
- Has a small play surface
US Art Supply Cardiff Easel
This activity easel from US Art Supply has a solid beechwood construction and includes 2 different surfaces: a dry erase and chalkboard. The size of the boards is 23’’ x 23’’, and the height of the easel is adjustable (46’’-54’’).
It is equipped with 2 wooden trays convenient to accommodate drawing accessories. One tray features holes to hold paint containers (included). Beneath the easel, there are 2 bright fabric storage baskets large enough to keep bigger art supplies. The easel also comes with a free 18’’ paper roll.
- Includes multiple art accessories
- Has two different drawing areas
- The tool can be height-adjusted as a toddler grows
- Helpful bins to organize art instruments
- Easy to assemble
- Fairly priced
- The corners of the easel are sharp
- Not foldable
Melissa & Doug: Nice Gift for Kids Ages 3 and Up
Like the previous model, this easel from a kid-friendly brand Melissa & Doug is also made of wood and adjustable to the kid’s height. It can be used by 3-7-year-old children.
The construction is dual-sided and comes with 2 boards – a chalkboard and a dry erase board. It features 2 plastic trays (one with pot holders) where you can accommodate all drawing instruments.
A paper roll holder is attached on top between the boards. There are 4 clip grips for holding drawing paper that is oversized.
The easel also includes a safe paper cutter.
- A sturdy construction
- Convenient trays to store drawing tools
- Has 2 boards with different surfaces
- An adjustable height
- Can be used with various drawing mediums
- Easy to clean
- Replacement parts can be ordered from the manufacturer
- There is no magnetic side
- The chalk barely shows on the chalkboard
- The assembly is not easy
Little Partners: Most Durable and Long-Lasting Easel
This easel from Little Partners includes a chalkboard and a dry erase board, which is also magnetic. The A-frame construction is very sturdy and made of layered pine.
There are 2 wide shelves attached underneath the boards. One shelf allows you to accommodate various art supplies and materials, and another one features 2 fabric storage containers to keep your drawing tools properly organized.
There is also a parchment paper feeder for beginning artists to express their creative ideas on paper. Convenient paper clips are located within easy reach to hold the paper on the board or to hang a freshly painted artwork for drying.
The easel includes a number of accessories that make the drawing process easier, for example, 4 non-spill paint cups to prevent splashes.
The construction has removable legs, and the easel can stand on the floor or the desk surface. The tool is available in 3 various colors – apple green, espresso, and teal frosting.
- Meets eco requirements
- A stable and durable construction
- Includes helpful accessories
- The paper feeder refills very easily
- Has 2 boards, with one being also magnetic
- Comes in assorted colors
- Can be converted into a tabletop size
- Uses 17.5’’ paper width, which is not quite popular
- The height is not adjustable
Crayola: Great Kids Easel for Learning
This wooden easel from Crayola has 2 surfaces – a chalkboard and a dry erase one. The anti-dust white chalk from this manufacturer makes the drawing process less messy. The dry erase board is also magnetic, so the kids can easily change their activities and practice the magnetic alphabet or math.
With a 15’’ paper roll attached, you can pull down the paper, clip it and let your toddler paint or draw. The paper-locking clips help keep the paper in place.
Beneath the drawing surface, there is a convenient tray with 3 removable paint pots to keep your art accessories.
The height of the frame can be adjusted, which is very helpful as the kids grow.
- Includes 2 surfaces, with one being also magnetic
- Non-toxic and safe
- Easy to assemble
- A handy roll-out paper dispenser
- An adjustable height
- The tray is sturdy enough to hold heavy items
- The boards erase easily
- The construction is not foldable
- The easel is not stable on the lowest height setting
- The height of the easel is not enough for taller kids, so they have to sit on a chair
IKEA MÅLA Art Easel: Perfect Size for Older Kids
This IKEA easel has 2 boards and allows your kids to use both erasable markers and chalk. It can also be used with drawing paper.
The construction is rather simple, but it is sturdy and doesn’t wobble. The easel features only one tray to store your art utensils, and it should be reattached to the opposite side if your toddler wants to use the other side of the board.
The tool causes no pain to fold up every night. The stand easily folds flat if you remove a paper roll.
It comes with no accessories and can be used by kids of school age.
- Lightweight and easy to move
- A simple but sturdy design
- Easy to assemble
- Made of one solid pine piece
- Multipurpose boards
- Folds flat when not in use
- Neither board is magnetic
- Comes with only one storage tray
- The chalk side is hard to erase (use a damp cloth)
- Includes no accessories
KidKraft Easel: Excellent Double-Sided Design
The KidKraft Deluxe easel has a classic design made in beautiful white. It is manufactured from birch and includes 2 working areas – a white dry erase board and a black chalkboard that works great even with sidewalk chalk.
Each board has a convenient wooden tray with 2 sealable, spill-proof containers. There is also a wooden shelf beneath the board to store your drawing instruments.
The easel features a dispenser with a roll of art paper located on top of the construction.
- Good-looking in white
- Simple to assemble
- Solid and durable
- Made from eco-friendly materials
- Comes with patented anti-spill paint cups
- The paper is easy to replace
- Has no magnetic side
- The height is not adjustable
- The dry erase board doesn’t erase well and stays marked
Faber-Castell Tabletop: Art Studio for Kids Over Age 6
This tabletop easel from Faber-Castell is intended for kids older than 6 because it includes a number of small elements. The folded set looks like a small suitcase where one side is a chalkboard and another one is a dry erase board. Young artists can also use art paper – small magnets will hold it on the magnetic (white) side.
The easel has a handle and can be taken for drawing outside. This is a good way to engage your preschooler during traveling (in a car, etc.). When fixed, the tool forms an A-frame construction comfortable to accommodate on a flat surface.
It comes with an amazing collection of art supplies, which can be stored inside the set when it is closed.
- The set is filled with numerous art supplies
- Compact and portable
- Double-sided, where a white surface is also magnetic and can be used with drawing paper
- Safe and non-toxic
- Good storage solution
- The eraser is of poor quality and is very scratchy
- The markers stain a dry erase surface
- The paintbrush is too small
Lewo: Good Portable Educational Set with Easel
This wooden box from Lewo is more than an easel. This is an educational kit designed for small learners. The cute box has a stand-up lid that serves as a multifunctional board. One side of the lid is a dry erase board, which is also magnetic. The other side of the lid is a chalkboard.
An eraser, a marker, and chalk sticks are included in the set.
The box comes with a puzzle game – a collection of colorful wooden pieces that have a magnetic backing and can be arranged in the shape of animals, plants, and more. With a hundred of puzzle pieces, the children will have hours of fun. This is a good exercise both to develop hand-eye coordination and to entertain the kids on a road trip.
- Perfect size for a travel toy
- Has a two-sided board, including a magnetic covering
- Comes with an idea booklet to arrange themed patterns
- The board can be placed through 3 various ways
- Reasonable price
- Made from natural materials
- The edges of the box are sharp
- The magnet figures are cut in very small pieces and easily lost
Evergreen Art Supply: Top Easel with Storage Bins
Inspired by Evergreen Art Supply, this easel is a fantastic thing that your child could have dreamt of. It consists of 2 boards – a chalkboard and a magnetic dry erase board. With a set of magnet numbers and math signs, you can educate and play with your kids right on the artist easel.
The art supplies can be stored in 3 handy cloth bins with a waterproof bottom to keep your floor always clean. They also keep all drawing tools organized. The paint sessions of your toddler are now under control thanks to 5 no-drop paint containers.
This construction can be used with paper – just roll it out and clip it down. A pack of included markers and chalks will help your kids get more creative.
- Dual-sided board for multiuse options (+ magnetic side)
- Tons of free art supplies included in the box
- Eco-friendly materials
- Can be used with a variety of drawing mediums
- Paint cups come out for easy cleaning
- An excellent design with storage bins
- The wood is very soft and splits from screwing
- The storage bags are not fixed and can be dislodged
- Doesn’t fold for storage
- The magnets that hold the numbers become loose and fall out. This may pose a choking hazard in small kids
ALEX Toys: Best Wall Mounted Art Easel for Kids
ALEX toys are sold in more than 80 countries worldwide and known as both educational and entertaining products. This hanging easel from ALEX Toys will turn a wall in your kids’ room into a display area and help express their inner artist. It comes with a bracket and is easily mounted, saving your living space. The height can be adjusted up to your preference.
It looks like a black chalkboard, which also includes a paper roll (12’’x 100 feet) if your toddler wants to draw on paper. The easel features a safety paper cutter and a convenient tray, which accommodates 4 colored cups to store your drawing mediums.
- A space-saver thanks to a wall-mounted design
- Requires no assembly
- An extra-large surface for drawing ideas (20″ x 26″ x 6″)
- A creative alternative to traditional wooden easels
- Has neither magnetic nor dry erase surface
If you are going to buy an easel for your toddler, look for the following must-have features that are characteristic for a quality item.
There are numerous pricey and budget models to choose from, and these are the main points for your pre-purchase consideration. As a rule, easels that are more expensive are branded items with a number of accessories and art supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are not certain whether to buy an easel, or you have some questions left, read these questions and answers typical for most customers. You may find a solution below.
What Age Can Children Use Art Easel?
There is no special age recommended for buying an easel for your toddler. This depends on your kid. Different children develop and show their interest at different times. If your kids show their interest in drawing 🎨 by grabbing your pencils and trying to color and write, this will probably be the right time to introduce them to crayons and other mediums. Wait until they are steady on their feet so that they can stand at an easel (LOL). Choose a set that doesn’t include small pieces, which can be occasionally swallowed.
Compared to drawing at the table, working at an easel feels free of rules, so toddlers would be rarely left indifferent to this tool. If you notice that your child can really benefit from an easel, set it up and put up with a potential mess. You will see that the advantages of this construction will outweigh its annoyance.
How to Make 🔨 a Homemade Easel?
Some families can dedicate an entire wall for drawing, but a standing easel is an ideal option if you have little space in the playroom. There are a lot of tutorials on how to build a tripod or a four-legged easel.
The construction is very simple, and all the materials can be found in a stationery store. The wooden frame is inexpensive, but the boards can be costly. To cut the costs, use plywood and cover it with a magnetic or chalkboard paint.
Here is a short instruction for making a traditional easel in several steps:
- Lay out the pieces, mark the cutline for 4 legs, cross braces and side brackets.
- Cut the pieces with a jigsaw.
- Mark and drill the brackets.
- Cut the slot lines in both brackets.
- Drill the holes for the dowel that holds a paper roll.
- Attach the hinges to both pairs of legs.
- Attach the cross braces and brackets.
- Position and mount the boards.
- Add a tray for accessories.
- Attach the paper or canvas.
If you are not a crafty person and don’t like drilling and cutting hardwood, buy a ready-made easel. With so many options available, you can choose the variant up to your budget. Let your kids enjoy drawing and paint with friends during a party.
What Are the Most Popular Brands of Kids Easel?
The selection of kids’ easels is very vast. With numerous brands on the market, it is difficult to find an item that is suitable for both your wallet 💰 and taste. This list features the most trustworthy manufacturers, which make reliable products for little users:
- Melissa & Doug
- Delta Children
- Alex Toys
- Little Partners
- US Art Supply
Their easels are highly rated by customers for the best functionality, quality, design, and price. These companies offer various options, so you can weigh the pros and cons and find the one that suits your needs.
Where to Buy 🛒 Art Easel for Your Children?
Online shopping is a great alternative to traditional shops. This way of trading helps cut expenses and offers similar products at more affordable prices than brick-and-mortar stores.
All the mentioned brands have official websites where you can buy an easel. The kids’ easels can be purchased on Amazon, eBay, Costco, Bed Bath and Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Target, Walmart, and many other stores. The internet allows you to read reviews on each easel model posted by other customers and decide which item you need.
Easels give kids an individual place to create and develop a better grasp necessary for handwriting. A vertical surface helps their fingers come together in the right way. This tool will remain in your children’s memory as the sweetest and most joyful moment.
The selection of easels offered by WoWPencils includes quality items that outweigh other brands in many aspects. Buy an easel that meets your requirements and give your kid a miracle with an educational undertone. Spending more time creating art is healthier than staring at digital gadgets.
- Hape Toys Magnetic All-in-1 Easel – https://www.hape.com/
- Evergreen Art Supply Kids Easel with Paper Roll +FREE Kids Art Supplies – https://www.evergreenartsupply.com/
- Little Partners Deluxe Learn and Play Art Center Easel – https://www.littlepartners.com/
- Crayola Kid’s Wooden Easel – https://shop.crayola.com/
- KidKraft Deluxe Wooden Easel – https://www.kidkraft.com/
- Lewo Toys Wooden Magnetic Art Easel Animals Puzzle Games for Kids – http://www.lewotoy.com/
- ALEX Toys Artist Studio My Wall Easel – https://www.alexbrands.com/
- How to Make an Easel – https://www.wikihow.com/
- Easy DIY and Portable Painting Easel – https://www.instructables.com/