Reviewing customers’ feedback and analyzing the best variants of erasers took more than 20 hours. This allowed to describe all the features in details, to show their advantages and disadvantages, and make a list of the 10 best pencil erasers.
Top 10 Erasers for Pencils
Best for Graphite Pencil: STAEDTLER Mars
The STAEDTLER Mars eraser is perfectly designed for graphite pencils. It removes marks on paper and matt drafting film, and it performs good transparency effects. Its quality allows use for a really long time. The Staedtler Mars eraser doesn’t smear colours onto the paper, cleanly removing pencil leads and even most colored pencils from all manner of paper.
Using this eraser for math is a great experience since even multiple erases leave the paper surface neither weak nor discolored. It allows you to think about and correct your answers without fear of ruining your work. However, these erasers don’t go well with dark marks, but this issue can be easily solved by not pushing the pencil into your paper. So, let’s say STAEDTLER Mars are good for either school or home.
- Doesn’t crumble
- Feels great, without the feeling of nails on a whiteboard
- Long lasting, that is achieved by less consumption of erasing material
- It comes with a plastic holder-case
- It erases smoothly, like a knife through butter
- They are phthalate and latex-free
- It’s not good for charcoal
- It mars the page and leaves flaky dust
- Doesn’t manage well with dark marks
- They are not soft
Some users have admitted the eraser’s comfortability is better by breaking a bar into two parts, as it makes holding easier, and it must be crucial feature for users with small hands. Nevertheless, some users adore the flip cover, which comes in the pack.
There is one more disadvantage: the paper can be easily marred, but usually this happens because of sudden and unexpected movements. So, don’t be impulsive, and your writing won’t get hurt.
There is one more detail which bothers users who face such a case: an eraser can become too dirty in a pocket, that’s why people have to clean it before using it. One can only hope that producers will take this into account and fix this problem.
Sargent Art: Best Rubber Eraser
Sargent Art is a universal eraser which can be a handy tool in fighting against undesirable writing. Despite its color, which is pink by the way, it excellently removes pencil lead from paper with minimal rubbing and leaves no residue on paper or fingers.
- They last a long time
- Don’t smudge and leave no streaks
- They erase cleanly and neatly
- They fully erase and don’t rip the paper
- The lead is erased from wood easily
- It’s latex-free
- They feel rubbery and thin
- Not for professional usage
These erasers are pretty, still, they are fine for everyday usage but not for professional art. Thus, they are a perfect choice for donating stationery to school for kids in preschool or 1st grade for any art classes or even music classes. This affordable option will also save your budget by its minimal wearing.
Pentel Hi-Polymer: High-Quality Eraser
This eraser is one of those which is produced in Japan. Is this equal to high quality? Of course, it is! Pentel always stands for quality and the company truly thinks about its customers: the eraser works very well and erases much better than pink erasers, without damaging the drawing or having too many shavings.
- The material is soft
- Wears very slowly
- Needs less pressure for erasing
- It’s latex-free
- Leaves lots of graphite smudges
- Can tear paper
- They are flimsy
- React with certain materials
- Smells like petrol
Despite some negative customer reviews of these erasers, they still stay popular among students. The smudges can be prevented by cleaning the edges of the eraser (e.g. with sandpaper, finger) and practicing on a piece of paper before using.
Another shocking disadvantage is its reaction with some materials. For instance, it shouldn’t be kept on the table covered with varnish since the eraser can easily rip it off from the table. The same happens with printed papers, thus this eraser should be kept off them. It may also cover some stationery with a gummy layer, which doesn’t feel good and makes everything stick.
Paper Mate Arrowhead: Cool for Kids
The Paper Mate Arrowhead is an old pink eraser which seems to be eternal; these are beloved by millions of users, and most of them are kids. The unusual shape must be the key feature when children see them. In addition, they work well and do their best to get rid of mistakes on paper.
- They don’t require pushing on them to get the job done
- Suitable for both graphite and colored pencils
- They don’t rip the paper
- They don’t smudge
- Tight fit, they must be forced onto the pencil
- They split easily
They leave dust, but within reason. However, the quantity of dust increases gradually by getting drier. Keeping them packed in a zipped lock bag will prevent these erasers from early drying out, which means they will still work.
In addition, the big pack is the best solution for parents who always struggle to keep erasers in their children’s pencil case. They also can be used as a replaceable part of a regular pencil.
Paper Mate White Pearl: Great for School
The Paper Mate White Pearl is the coolest eraser designed for school and so it occupies the well-deserved place in the top ten. They are white, and the soft feeling makes them adorable. The large size allows cleaning bigger areas, and sharp angled parts of the rubber are nice for small details. Sometimes parents even are confused by whether children enjoy erasing more than writing.
- Compound is soft
- Process of erasing is quick
- Erasing is smooth
- It doesn’t chew up the paper
- Can be applied to different types of paper
- They are latex-free
- They have a classic design
- Needs more pressure on the bar
- It smudges writing
- There is a strange odor
- They leave too much dust
This is a classic sample for school purposes: this bar can be a reliable partner at exams, tests, and essays. Don’t worry if you’ve made a mistake, this piece of rubber will sort everything out.
And, there is a tip for keeping its sharp edges, preventing them from getting round-edged, and making them still effective – just cut them with a knife.
Tombow MONO Zero: Good for Sketching
Tombow MONO Zero is a fantastic tool, and the name speaks for itself – it’s a cool option for sketching. Its design is remarkable, as its body is made of plastic, giving a more professional and stylish look than other classy devices. The shape of the eraser allows choosing the best angle to correct the drawing.
- Makes erasing precise
- Has a nice and firm feel to it
- Good for charcoal
- Lots of art effects can be achieved with it
- It doesn’t ruin paper while erasing
- Refillable tool
- The set doesn’t come with refills
- Leaves some rubber residue on paper
- There is not too much rubber material inside
Its small eraser is a totally handy tool when it concerns making some highlights in sketching. We should mention that the rubber material shouldn’t stick too far out of the body, otherwise the eraser will fracture. This device definitely merits attention and should be very useful for creative individuals who tend to achieve the highest results. Practicing and trying new effects and approaches will bring new ideas into life more enjoyably with Tombow MONO Zero.
Faber-Castell Eraser Pencil: Best for Drawing
The Faber-Castell eraser is one of those which people have been familiar with for a long time. They become even a standard of quality. Speaking about drawing abilities, the Faber-Castell is just as useful for such purposes. The producer makes these erasing pencils with artists in mind.
- They offer a high level of precision
- The control of this tool is the same as holding a pencil
- It doesn’t wrinkle the paper
- They don’t erase more than you want
- There is not much dust
- They last a long time
- It works cleanly and doesn’t smudge
- Can be sharpened with a regular sharpener
- It’s not possible to get the same sharp point made on factory
- The sharpener can take too much of the barrel, which can make the eraser tip soft
- They have a pink tint
These are perfectly designed for those who create drawings with precise lines and need to highlight all the contours. Unlike retractable erasers, these have a taper shape, but they still remain sturdy. They will never let you down and will instead become a handy tool for the rest of your drawing experience.
Pentel Clic Eraser: Best for Artists
The Pentel Clic eraser is a pencil-shaped eraser which provides smooth erasing and a retractable experience for artists and even for non-professional purposes. However, considering artists, this tool must be irreplaceable for them since its erasing performance is on a high level, which allows them to achieve any desire.
- They don’t leave much residue
- They erase cleanly and don’t smudge graphite
- The erasing material is replaceable
- They can be easily stored
- Easy to retract and extend
- It doesn’t shred the paper
- The eraser is thin
- The plastic holder can scratch the paper
- The revealed length can’t be fixed, so it does slide back while erasing
This tool should be in the pencil case of every artist, and the eraser holder protects the eraser from damages and dirt, so you don’t need to care about its cleanliness. Just pushing the button allows you fix your mistake immediately without any issues.
Tombow MONO Sand: Best for Colored Lead
The Tombow MONO Sand must be the best pencil eraser in the world for colored pencils. It’s unusual among the other samples, which usually are smooth. These, thanks to its consistency, feel a little bit gritty – this is achieved by mixing natural latex and grit.
- Consists of natural ingredients
- Removes ink
- It requires fewer moves to erase color on the paper
- Removes crayons
- Wears down fast – it is pretty small for big areas to erase
- Destroys paper if pressed too hard
- It leaves lots of dust
Besides the colored pencils, this eraser is nice for removing even ink from paper. And having such plasticity makes them very popular among users.
The Tombow Mono Sand must be a life-saver for those who make mistakes, and we all know that everybody has mistakes, so this tiny tool will fix anything!
Prismacolor Premier: Best Kneaded Eraser
The Prismacolor Premier is the greatest option of kneaded erasers. While rubber erasers leave lots of particles on the paper as a result of erasing performance, then kneaded eraser just absorbs the shade by its surface, leaving no dust behind.
- They stay as good as new after erasing lots of shades and types of cover
- They are quite plastic
- They erase smooth and are stretchy
- The shape is adjustable
- It is long-lasting
- They come in a small size
- At first, they are hard and brittle, difficult to shape
It is usually used by artists as a tool for drawing rather than just an eraser, known as subtractive drawing giving line more values. This kneaded eraser can be used for highlights and making precise lines.
There is one hint which will help you to prolong its life – it’s keeping it in the pack, which prevents from appearing there some tiny particles.
Choosing the best tool, particularly when selecting art tools, must be one of those things which everybody wants to postpone. And when it gets to a critical point, there are some tips which will be useful to find exactly that one tool which fits all your requirements.
According to their purposes, here are some categories of erasers.
- The kneaded and retractable ones are often used for art. The first manages with any type of colored pencil and gets any shape, while the second provides precise lines.
- It’s important for students to get rid of mistakes very quickly and leave no smudges or damage on the paper.
- For general purpose, the eraser should perform cleanly and allow fast erasing with delicacy on paper, leaving no smears or dust.
- To erase ink marks, grit or abrasive erasers should be used, but don’t overdo it and use it on small areas, otherwise the surface will be damaged.
- Environment tolerant erasers should contain no, or at least fewer chemicals, but rather new materials which can be recycled.
- Colored pencils don’t come off easily; however, some erasers can lighten areas where colored pencils were applied.
- Funny shapes of rubber can be a small gift for a colleague or just to lift your spirits.
Here are some general recommendations which will help you find the best option.
There are lots of types of stationery on the market, but these hints will make you stay aware and save your time when choosing the best of the best.
If you get here, you are probably curious about any information related to this tool. Usually, users want to find out the origin, the reason of the appeared things, and what they are made from. But, still there can be not enough information on the internet. Let’s find out if there are comprehensive facts for you.
What Is Eraser?
An eraser, or rubber, is a piece of stationery which allows getting rid of marks on any surface (usually it’s used on paper 📃). They have rubbing ability (thus, where the word “rubber” come from), and they can be any shape, color, and size. Each of them should be observed individually according to the purpose.
How Does a Pencil 🖍 Eraser Work?
The pencil work might be totally different from your thoughts. In order to get rid of the pencil marks, the eraser lifts the particles of graphite from paper, literally pulling out fractions of the paper.
What Are Pencil Erasers Made of?
There are 5 widely-spread types of material for eraser production:
- Rubber – it often seen in pink erasers.
- Gum – they are likely to crumble and fraction.
- Caoutchouc is used for kneaded erasers, making them ductile and malleable.
- Vinyl, also such erasers are called plastic erasers
- The last type is a combination of vinyl and wood 🌳, if it comes in a form of pencil
However, these types of materials are not limited, as the manufacturer always finds new materials, and who knows, maybe there will appear a new tool soon. But here’s the common process of making the rubber bar: extraction of latex, processing the latex, adding some needed chemicals, mixing them, boiling them, and then giving the desirable shape.
How to Use Eraser Correctly?
It doesn’t matter who you are, whether you are a professional artist or a student 👨🎓, you should know these tips to make your erasing tool much more effective and how to use it correctly:
- warming it up makes it more plastic and allows erasing with more effectiveness;
- avoiding dust or particles of a used eraser can be solved by wiping the eraser with sandpaper;
- if the dust appears, don’t brush it off or blow on it! Just lift the paper and then jolt, and everything comes off with one movement;
- the eraser can be used as an artist tool for giving some vividness to the drawing by highlighting some lines or protrusion;
- don’t be upset if the eraser has lost an angle suitable for small details, as a knife can fix that.
In addition, if you want to prolong its life, do one more thing – just keep it separate, for example, in zip lock plastic case.
Why Do Pencil Erasers Get Hard?
Pencils often get hard and make the canceling process more challenging.
In order to avoid such a case – you shouldn’t let it be exposed to the wind 💨 since it causes the rubber to dry out, and makes these tools inapplicable.
Cool Facts About Pencil Erasers
Some people admire these rubber helpers and these curious facts could blow your mind:
- Not every eraser is made of rubber, and there are lots of synthetic materials which can be used in production.
- The pencil with an eraser was patented in America in 1858 by Hymen Lipman.
- Outside the USA, this bar is called “rubber,” though the manufacturers call them “plugs.”
- The average quantity of producing erasers every day is about 2 tons.
Don’t be bored with this rubber bar, it is more useful thing than you think!
How Eraser Was Invented?
The discoverer of oxygen, Joseph Priestley, has found the rubber substance and its features, causing the invention of the eraser as we know it. In 1770 there appeared a history-changing invention, the rubber eraser. It was created by English engineer, Edward Nairne.
What Was Used Before Erasers?
You might not believe it, but history shows that the first tool for erasing something written on paper was pumice or sand stone, then some used bread crumbs, which were moistened and rolled into a ball. However, these must be not-so effective, thus they were replaced by erasers made of rubber.
Difference Between Eraser and Rubber
Joseph Priestley found the rubber substance and noticed its rubbing ability. That’s where the word “rubber” comes from. Some time later, it was replaced with another word “eraser” as it refers its direct purpose – to erase marks. Thus, there is no difference between an eraser and a rubber; however, it can be confusing for some people.
Another difference is a semantic: while in the UK “rubber” is used for erasing pencil lead, in the USA, children might laugh at a person who says this word since it also means the contraceptive “condom.” Don’t screw this up!
Are Pencils with Erasers Popular in the USA
Americans are leaders of purchasing pencils with erasers, while Europe prefers to use pencils without an eraser and have them separately. This phenomenon can be caused by cultural preferences.
Recycling of Erasers
According to the recycling principles (reduce, recycle, and reuse), an eraser is the toughest thing to be recycled, thus, unfortunately, they are in the list of products that can’t be recycled. However, returning to those principles, we can firstly reduce the amount, then reuse, and finally, we should think about recycling. There is one more option – to buy erasers made of natural material.
Best Way to Erase Colored Pencil
Erasing colored pencils can be too difficult for some users, but still it can be fixed. There are some brands of erasing things and in a particular way, which will help you to erase professional colored pencils, crayons, and even pencils from the wall. Our blog will give you more information about how to erase colored pencils from any surface fast and easy.
If somebody has any relation to art, school, or engineering, they must be familiar with the scenario of choosing the best erasing tool. Usually, it becomes the toughest thing ever, because the variety of erasers is huge. Don’t be fooled by their design or color since they can be the incorrect thing. Use these tips and find the ideal option!