School needs dry erase boards for teaching, while the business world uses them to share concepts and convey important information. Whiteboards have become a reusable alternative to paper and save people from wasting tons of notebooks and pads. In addition, visual perception helps understand even the most complex ideas, turning a whiteboard into a mandatory piece of stationery for any office and home.
This post introduces a list of the best dry erase boards currently available on the market. More than 40 hours have been spent to select the top models made to high standards of durability and usability with multiple positive customers’ reviews. The article describes all upsides and downsides of each whiteboard and gives useful purchase recommendations.
Top 13 Reviews of Cool Whiteboards
Scribbledo: Best Magnetic Dry Erase Board Ever
This set of dry erase boards manufactured by Scribbledo includes 10 items and can be used for interactive learning in both kindergartens and schools. Each board has a colored frame with rounded corners and a large writing surface.
It is magnetized and can be used with magnetic numbers or letters. The board is single-sided for the best comfort to place it on a lap or hold in hand. The thing is very cute and made of a durable material for extended use.
- A lightweight and portable design
- Can be used with magnets
- Single-sided, it can be used even in bed
- The edges are protected for added safety
- Easily erased
- A perfect size for little hands
- The ink of dry erase markers bubbles on the board surface
XBoard: Cool Whiteboard for Office
This whiteboard from a popular brand will bring the best writing experience to your office. All products of this professional manufacturer are made to last.
The board is wall-mounted either vertically or horizontally. You can write with dry erase markers on the surface. It is also magnetic and allows posting important messages with a magnet. The piece has a solid construction with a sturdy aluminum frame and plastic rounded corners. It comes with a convenient tray for markers, which is detachable and can be positioned at any side.
- The mounting hardware is attached
- Includes magnets
- No sharp edges
- A scratch-resistant surface
- Can be mounted either landscape or portrait
- Easy to assemble
- The tray is flimsy
- The protective film that covers the screen doesn’t come off easily
DexBoard: Great for Personal Use
This board inspired by DexBoard has a pretty large surface and can be used in classrooms or offices. This is a versatile tool mounted on a wall in a horizontal/vertical position. It is magnetized and can be used with magnets to hang memos and pictures.
Its smooth surface provides easy fluid writing and effortless erasing. The board is quite sturdy thanks to its aluminum frame and plastic rounded corners that will not prick your hands. It includes a large pen tray that can be placed on any of the 4 sides.
- Cleans well with no marks left behind
- Comes with fixing kits
- The galvanized sheet makes the construction sturdy
- Easy installation
- No pointy edges
- Shipped in the reinforced packaging to prevent warping and damaging
- The eraser is not included
Officeline: Good Lightweight Whiteboard
The Officeline whiteboard features a slim design that will fit in any space. The item is very lightweight, but its construction is sturdy. The dry erase surface is also magnetic and allows keeping your ideas visible in a variety of ways.
The piece requires mounting on a wall and comes with the necessary anchors and screws. It includes a pen tray and extra accessories (a magnetic pen, an eraser, and magnets). The surface erases nicely and leaves no residue.
- The company guarantees a lifetime replacement
- Even a novice can easily manage the assembly
- Reasonably priced
- Arrives double packaged to avoid damage
- Can be positioned both vertically and horizontally
- The surface is a bit textured, and some markers can get it stained (use alcohol to erase them)
- The magnets come with sharp metal edges and may scratch the surface
AmazonBasics: Great Double-Sided Dry Erase Board
AmazonBasics offers a versatile dry erase board, which can also be used as a magnetic bulletin board. Its surface is durable and able to resist staining. It erases easily and leaves no ghost marks. It comes with a black MDF frame that gives it a stylish look.
Depending on user’s needs, the unit can be positioned horizontally or vertically. The packaging includes a tray for pens, a dry erase marker, and magnets. This is a multifunctional and budget product that ensures a clean start every time.
- The price is hard to beat
- The framed design goes well with most decors
- Easy to install with the included hardware
- Double-sided use
- Comes with accessories
- The pen tray is metal and has sharp edges
OCDbyDesign: Cool Whiteboard with Calendar
This mobile whiteboard from OCDbyDesign offers a double writing area. Both sides can be used with dry erase markers. Being also magnetic, they can hold important papers pinned with magnets. Any time, you can flip the side and lock it for stability.
The board has a sleek design due to steel legs and aluminum frames. It is equipped with 4 locking wheels and can be rolled everywhere you need. It moves quietly and effortlessly.
The packaging includes assembly tools, magnets, markers, an eraser, and a magnetic calendar for your business plans and weekly tasks.
- Securely packaged to avoid shipping damages
- A reversible board
- The legs are made of galvanized steel for additional strength
- The easy assembly with clear explanations and pictures
- Comes with extra accessories
- The surface is not glossy but rough, and it is difficult to get a marker off
U Brands: Stylish Glass Whiteboard
This board from U Brands is made of tempered glass and can withstand heavy writing and frequent erasing. Its frameless design is very modern, and, besides, it hides the hanging hardware.
It comes with a tray to keep your board materials, but you may not apply this holder for a flat look on the wall. To add a more awesome look, use LED lighting and illuminate the screen from behind. It will make the board usable even at night.
This surface is easier to clean than traditional whiteboards. Its installation is simple, but you may need an assistant and to do some drilling.
- Not expensive
- Looks more aesthetically attractive than regular boards
- Can be installed vertically or horizontally to fit your space
- The premium glass surface never stains
- The instructions and mounting hardware are included
- The plastic anchors that come with the packaging are worthless to be used on standard drywall (buy metal ones)
- Not magnetic
DasKid: Perfect Dry Erase Board for Home
This dry erase board sheet is an ideal companion for home use to keep your family life organized. It comes with the entire magnetic backside and can be attached to any metal surface.
The sheet is very flexible. You can also cut it in several pieces and get multiple reminders. The messages are easily removed with a cloth eraser that comes with the set along with 4 markers. These writing instruments have magnets in their caps to store them on the fridge and spongy tops for erasing.
- The sheet can be easily applied and removed from a metal surface
- Simple in cleaning (even with a paper towel)
- Comes with extra accessories
- A good price
- The sheet has a flat look and doesn’t scratch the surface
- The markers have a strong odor
- The edges may curl up
Lockways: Top Heavy-Duty Whiteboard
An expert in many kinds of presentation products, Lockways manufactures high-quality whiteboards supported by a lifetime warranty. This model comes with a silver anodized aluminum frame and has a modern appearance. The round nylon corners make it safe for users.
The set includes 3 dry erase markers and 8 magnets. The detachable aluminum tray allows keeping all writing instruments at hand.
The unit comes with strong screws and is easily mounted.
- The surface is glossy and scratch-resistant
- Either portrait or landscape position on the wall
- Compatible with all branded dry erase markers
- Made of a quality material that doesn’t warp and bubble
- The screws are concealed
- The protective sheeting is difficult to peel off at the metal frame
- Doesn’t include an eraser
OfficeMarshal: High Quality Whiteboard
This whiteboard is backed by German craftsmanship. Its writing panel is covered by impermeable lacquer that prevents ink from penetrating and staining the inner board layers.
The unit has a strong aluminum frame, plastic corners, and an extra smooth writing surface. It can be mounted either vertically or horizontally on a wall. The movable pen tray to store your board equipment can be quickly adjusted to any board position.
The board comes with all necessary tools for easy installation.
- The frame is anodized for extra strength
- Takes magnets
- Special caps allow hiding the screw heads
- Features a stain-resistant technology
- Suitable for heavy use in offices
- May feature spots on the board that don’t hold magnets
- Some markers don’t write well on it
Dapper Display: Easiest to Clean
This magnetic whiteboard from Dapper Display is made of frosted glass and has a luxurious appearance. Thanks to a stain-resistant technology, the markings erase very fast and leave no residue.
The piece is frameless and looks high-tech. It comes with an aluminum tray, an eraser, 4 markers, and 6 magnets, so you can use it right away.
The board can be mounted in vertical and horizontal positions and comes with a template for easy installation.
- The tray for pens is rather long
- A modern design and a professional look
- Includes a bonus accessory kit
- Arrives securely packaged with the corners reinforced
- The magnets are very strong
- A good price
- The included wall anchors are not good, so buy screw-in ones
Quartet® DuraMax®: Best Porcelain Whiteboard
This porcelain whiteboard has a durable and smooth surface designed for heavy use in active classrooms/busy offices. It is long-lasting and comes with a 50-year surface guarantee. In addition, it is magnetized. Its aluminum frame has a satin finish and matches well with other décor. It includes a full-length tray able to accommodate a lot of writing supplies.
The thing is pretty massive and requires an assistant to mount it. The only installation position is landscape.
- The surface is stain-, scratch-, and dent-resistant
- Can be used as a magnetic bulletin board
- For busy educational environments
- The mounting hardware is included
- Large and sturdy
- Easy to erase
- Some markers leave ghost markings after erasing and require using a cleaning spray to get rid of them
Universal: Top Melamine Dry Erase Board
The last dry erase board to review is manufactured by Universal. It is large and has a melamine surface. A silver frame gives it a classic look. It is made of anodized aluminum for extra strength.
You can fix the board either horizontally or vertically up to your preference. All mounting hardware is included in the pack. The unit is equipped with a detachable pen tray, which is rather long.
- The installation is a breeze
- Cleans up well
- A good size that is hard to find
- A sturdy construction
- The corners are beveled
- Not magnetic
|Heart Felt Love||33.4’’ x 45.2’’
(67’’ x 49.5’’ x 21.6’’ with stand)
|TSJ OFFICE||36’’ x 48’’|
Heart Felt Love: Ideal Rolling Dry Erase Board
This whiteboard is multi-purpose since it is double-sided and allows users to display and present information in various formats. Due to a pivot hinge, it rotates 360° and locks with a knob. Both sides can be used with dry erase markers, and its magnetic surfaces can hold posters pinned with magnets. The surface is made of quality porcelain that is scratch- and stain-resistant.
The standing board comes with 4 casters (2 of them are locking) and can be easily maneuvered around the office. The pack includes an eraser, a ruler, a pen, and magnets. An integrated full-length tray helps keep your writing supplies organized.
- Mobile due to the wheels
- The rolling boards provide more space for writing
- Comes with additional accessories
- Has rounded corners for user’s safety
- A sleek design
- Made of durable premium materials
- Some boards may get damaged in transit
TSJ OFFICE: Good for Children
TSJ OFFICE introduces a reliable whiteboard backed by a lifetime guarantee. Its magnetic surface will allow you to display additional posters and papers. A solid steel back sheet provides extra magnetism.
The unit can be mounted on a wall in both vertical and horizontal positions. The construction is very sturdy and durable. It is framed and includes plastic corners.
The board comes with 6 markers, magnets, and a magnetic eraser, which sticks well to the surface. It features a detachable tray to hold all writing accessories securely.
- A scratch-resistant and smooth surface
- Cleans well without shadow traces
- An extended warranty period
- The installation is hassle-free
- Increased magnetism
- A slim and attractive construction
- An affordable price
- The installation instructions are vague
- The marker holder is made of thin plastic and not recommended loading it up with lots of things
Additional Brands That Are Worth Attention
How to Choose Nice Dry Erase Board
There are several factors to weigh when buying a dry erase board. You will need to consider such parameters as its surface, mobility, size, and intended use. Let’s analyze all these characteristics and learn some tips on how to choose the right tool.Step 1: Purpose of Use
Firstly, define your needs. You will need a large and heavy-duty board for classroom studies. Select a unit that can be hung on a wall to spare space.
If you planning to use it in the office, choose a mobile board to move it around. When not in use, you can fold and hide it. It can also be used as a projection screen during conferences. A matte finish will be a perfect choice since glossy boards can be difficult to read. This will be great if a board includes additional space from a cork material to pin important posters and memos.
A board for home use can be less sophisticated. You may choose a form of a large magnetic calendar stuck to the refrigerator.
Step 2: Dimensions
Depending on use, the size of whiteboards varies from that of a paper sheet to large screens. Anyway, you will not have trouble finding one that fits your space.
Classroom boards are traditionally large and are mounted on a wall. This size is suitable to hold a lot of material written (diagrams, pictures, texts, home assignments, etc.).
On a board for home use, you will write only some important messages for your family, and thus this sheet should not be too large. If your kids like drawing, buy a broader board that can be mounted on a wall or choose it in the form of an easel. You can also opt for a miniboard to let the kids play with it anywhere they want (in a bed or a car).Step 3: Surface Material
There are several types of materials typically used for board surfaces. This table will help you choose the right one for your needs.
|Aluminum / painted steel||Laminate (or Dura-rite)||Glass||Porcelain / ceramic||Melamine (a type of resin-covered paper)|
Some screens are very durable and come with a lifetime warranty.Step 4: Mobile or Wall-Mounted?
Available in various sizes, boards come in wall-mounted and portable variations. Measure the space where the unit will be located and calculate its size. With limited office/home space, a board can be mounted on a wall.
If you plan to move it during a presentation, consider buying one with a stand or wheels. This mobile option can be taken from one room to another. Most of these boards are height-adjustable to fit any user. A portable version also saves your walls from drilling. In some cases, mobile screens can be used as room dividers in open space offices.Step 5: Don’t Forget About Accessories
Some boards come with additional accessories, so you don’t need to buy writing supplies to start using them. They may include free markers, magnets, an eraser, or other bonuses.
Frequently Asked Questions
To fill any information gaps left, read more facts below concerning whiteboards in a traditional form of questions and answers.
What Is a Whiteboard?
A whiteboard (or dry erase board) is a board 🔲 with a glossy surface that allows users to make non-permanent markings and erase them without staining. They were invented in the 1950s but became popular only several decades later. Most of them are used with dry erase markers invented in 1975.
This type of boards is a good alternative to blackboards for children with a chalk dust allergy.
What to Do on a Whiteboard?
No matter where a whiteboard is used (in office or home 🏡), it helps organize your thoughts and share new ideas. Here are a few ways of how to use it:
- as a drawing surface for kids;
- to make weekly appointments;
- to write to-do lists;
- for adult doodling;
- to compile a grocery shopping list;
- to make a chore chart;
- to write a meal plan for the week;
- as a reminder board;
- to play games with friends/students;
- to highlight the goals/purposes/questions of the topic discussed;
- to write down key phrases;
- to use magnets for holding pictures/bills and other papers.
A whiteboard is a cool thing, and these hints will help you find a proper use in case it lies idle in your storage cubicle. You can have a lot of fun with it!
How to Clean Whiteboard?
To keep your board white is a quick 💨 and inexpensive practice, but it requires a little more than just erasing content. There are some hacks that will allow an old board to look brand new:
- Wipe a screen with a cloth dipped in a mix of water with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of marker ghosting. You may substitute alcohol with a hand sanitizer, aftershave, glass cleaner, baby wipes, vinegar, and even hairspray.
- Clean a screen once a week with a mix of window cleaner, warm soapy water, and peroxide. Never use wax-based cleaners.
- If a permanent marker was occasionally used on a screen, trace the written content with a dry erase marker and erase it.
If you don’t want to use harsh chemicals, clean the surface with a toothpaste. It aids in removing even stubborn stains from non-porous surfaces. If you have some other problems with your board surface, contact a manufacturer for more information.
How to Hang a Whiteboard?
Some boards come with a stand or an easel, but the majority of them should be hung on a wall to save space and facilitate their use. They all come with screws, nails, anchors, hooks, and other tools necessary for the installation. You will need a level to locate the board evenly, a drill to make holes in a wall, and a hammer 🔨.
There are boards that can be mounted without drilling the wall using a construction adhesive (for items that weigh less than 4 lbs.) or industrial-strength Velcro (for items that weigh less than 10 lbs.).
How to Fix a Whiteboard That Won’t Erase?
If your board has signs of use and a smeared color cannot be removed, restore the surface by cleaning it with WD-40 or regular stain remover and wipe it with a non-abrasive cloth.
If it has scratches or old dirty stains that don’t come off, the board can be resurfaced. Buy a white latex enamel paint at a local hardware store 🏪 and paint the entire surface using a roller. It will help hide discoloration and create a fresh look. Cover the surface with a special whiteboard coating. Let it dry for 2 days and rehang the board on the wall.
Fun Facts About Dry Erase Boards
Here are some surprising facts about whiteboards you didn’t know:
- The whiteboard was created after photographer Martin Heit stained his film negative with a marker, and the marking wiped away easily. That happened in 1950, but the invention was taken to the market only a few years later.
- The board’s writing area works due to the reaction between a non-porous surface and an oily polymer present in dry erase markers.
- The first whiteboards were designed for use with a home telephone. They were helpful for taking notes during a phone conversation. They were manufactured in 4 main colors (white, beige, yellow, and pink) to match a color of the phone.
- Before a dry erase marker was invented, all whiteboards were wet erase. That meant ink should be erased with a damp cloth.
- Hollywood blockbuster “Arrival” (2016) features a math algorithm written on whiteboards. It was developed with the help of the leading physicists who worked out the time-travel mechanics and an alien language for the movie.
If you know more interesting facts about whiteboards, you can leave your comments below.
This will be great if the post helps you choose a quality board on your own. With all necessary tips and information received, you can decide which tool will be a perfect purchase. Even by going through multiple picks offered above, you can find a board that fits your requirements.