Reviewing top of the pencils took more than 15 hours. They were thoroughly examined in order to show all the weak and strong points. Some definitely beat all the competitors, and some are below the acceptable line. Go ahead and learn which are the best pencils and why.
Top 9 Wooden Pencils to Buy
Ticonderoga My First Wooden Pencil
As the title suggests, these natural wooden pencils are specially designed while keeping in mind children’s needs. The shape allows small hands to fit nicely. Thus, their motor skills and handwriting gradually improve.
The most common reason for “being angry at paper” (pushing down on it hard) is the hard lead. Ticonderoga took care to avoid this and now young learners can easily write with just a light touch. That’s enough to get a clear line because of the softer lead.
- Easy sharpens
- The core doesn’t break easily
- Thick and helps with grip
- Graphite is quite big
- Length stays for a long time
- Eraser is thick
- Small hand- and finger- friendly
- Writes smoothly
- Comes with sharpener
- No hand cramps after holding the bar
- Needs special sharpener
- Ticonderoga makes it uncomfortable to do big handwriting
- Hard to grip with normal size hands
- Tough to sharpen to a useful radius, it gets like a needle then snaps off
The user will have to use an original sharpener because of the unusual size – it doesn’t fit in a regular one. Don’t worry, the set comes with a sharpener that saves additional money and time. This sample is well-designed and is the greatest option considering children’s small hands.
Mitsubishi 9850 Pencil
Mitsubishi is the classic sample, but it is not so widely spread among users in the USA. However, it has received recognition as the perfect replacement for the well-known Blackwing and Tombow.
- Smooth glide
- Well-centered lead and central barrel
- Needs less pressure
- No smearing after erasing (leaves no marks on paper)
- Durable handwriting without any uncomfortable handwriting
- No scratches, no grey lines
- Doesn’t fracture easily
- Doesn’t fit into the regular plastic sharpener, just into metal ones
- The lead isn’t soft or dark enough
- The quality of wood is low
- The barrel splinters very easily
The distinguishing feature of these is the well-balanced components. It’s made thoroughly, with the consumer’s needs in mind. Thus, the users will get a better experience while taking tests, doing crosswords, or even sketching.
General’s Cedar Pointe Pencil
General’s Cedar draws attention by the original look of the barrel with no coat of paint on it. Being good-looking also adds respect and trust in the product.
Unfortunately, the French word “Pointe” has nothing common with European manufacturing. These high quality devices are made in California.
- Hard lead
- It is sharpened smoothly
- Can be held tightly
- Feel and smell good
- No chemical coating
- Eraser works for a long time
- No rough edges or splinters
- The lead doesn’t fall out
- Doesn’t sharpen enough
- They are too hard, pushing makes them scratch paper
- Rough finish
- Sometimes makes people sneeze
Such attributes make this product controversial. However, they are quite cheap among the other besties. Natural consistency makes them less dangerous.
While the others are designed especially for drawing, engineering, or handwriting, these are all-purpose.
High-Quality Pencil from “Pencil Guy”
If you are in search of personalized samples to hand out – these are cool pencils and exactly that you are looking for! All you need is to say what you want to be imprinted on them – and voila!
- Can be imprinted with anything you want
- Variety of cover colours
- Eraser is nice
- Round shaped, so they easily can fall down
These are popular among customers because of the price and ability to be customized. As a writing tool – this is a classic tool with a pretty nice eraser on it.
Palomino Blackwing 602 Pencil
Blackwing is beloved by authors and composers. And now it has its own history with ups and downs. The renewed version of Blackwing has also appeared in the review list.
- Lead is firm, the sharpened point doesn’t break easily
- It has smooth writing
- Adjustable eraser
- The shape of the ferrule prevents it from falling
- Extra erasers are available in store
- Eraser is rectangular, which allows to erase tiny parts of writing better
- Capable with drawing
- Eraser holder looks cheap and weak
- The lead requires you to sharpen it every time after writing
- Slightly larger than previous version
- Doesn’t fit into rectangular sharpener
Despite numerous disadvantages, these are still recognizable and favored. They tend to become the best in the world. Plenty of artists and authors keep in mind that the Palomino blackwing is the world’s greatest pencil standard.
ARTEZA Wood-Cased Pencil
Another natural-looking wooden model. They seem like regular ones – but no. Once it’s unpacked, it’s easy to notice the unusual colour of the eraser which surely attracts attention.
- Eraser leaves no smudges
- Writing is smooth
- Set is pre-sharpened
- Feeling of ferrule dipped in plastic, not traditional painting
- Dark line
- Eraser is loose and flimsy
- Sharpens very badly
- Has strange chemical-like odor
- Graphite needs more pressure on it
Arteza creates pleasant impressions and keep customers excited. Surely, the secret is not only in its look, but in its exceptional selected materials.
USA Gold Natural Wood Pencil
Wooden pencil is always a synonym of deforestation. This manufacturer has concerns about the environment and plants a new tree instead of an old one.
- FSC certified – means more trees in the world
- Cedar wood barrel
- The core doesn’t break easily
- Often used in school
- Writes smoothly
- Sharpens easily
- Eraser is latex-free
- The finish is sticky
- The lead is waxy and hard
- Eraser is scratchy
- Charcoal falls out
Write Dudes are not just plain wooden pencils; they deserve to be in every bag for school. Children will easily manage long handwriting because of their smoothness, darkness, and thickness.
Staedtler Rally Pencil
Staedtler is a well-known trademark of stationery made in Germany. Founded in 1835, the company won enough fans in Europe. There were famous artists and engineers among the customers.
- Smooth writing
- Good finish
- Real wood
- The material of the eraser is good
- Sharpens well
- Touch is dark and soft
- Wears down faster than expected
- Despite the brand origin, it is made in Taiwan
- The paint is not so good, it cracks
- Eraser leaves big black smear
- The lead breaks easily
Staedtler Rally are nice pencils despite the eraser. We hope these disadvantages will make the manufacturer concerned about swapping the eraser with another product by Staedtler.
Staedtler Norica Wooden Pencil
As with the previous ones, these are made by Staedtler, too. Although, consumers do highlight other features. At the first glance the obvious difference is the stylish black color and nothing else at all. Let’s look at them in detail.
- Smooth writing
- Lead is dark
- Easy to sharpen
- No splinters
- Handsome looking
- No pain or cramps in hand after writing a long time
- Creamy sort of lead
- Hexagon shape of barrel keeps it from falling
- It seems it isn’t made of cedar, poor wood quality
- Eraser smears, leaves grey blob
- Lead breaks while sharpening
Staedtler Norica seems a little bit punky among regular school pencils, thus, highschool students find them perfect, and especially useful in math classes. This version definitely will blow you away, and who knows, maybe Norica will become your new favourite.
Popular Wooden Pencils for…
Some pencils were also reviewed in regard to their proper purpose, as some are recommended to be used for the best writing experience. Some are the best pencil ever made to perform with more advanced results.
However, It’s strongly recommended selecting individually according to the personal requirements.
|For Kids||Paper Mate Handwriting||Yes||9.8|
|For School||BIC Xtra-Fun||Yes||9.6|
|For Carpenter||Carpenter Pencil (Graphite Pen & Pencil)||No||9.5|
Paper Mate Handwriting: Good for Kids
Paper mate are popular among Pre-K students. The coolest pencils ever are designed with a more comfortable shape and lead which turn kid’s pressure into a soft touch, even without any damage.
- Best for small hands
- Best for people with arthritis
- Variety of colors
- The shape prevents hand cramps
- The shape also prevents it from falling down
- The lead is thick and sturdy so the tip doesn’t break easily
- Tough to sharpen lead to an acute angle
Special designs and bright colours are also attractive to children, thus, within the variety of shades is the perfect one for every child.
BIC Xtra-Fun: Best Option for School
The name that matters — young students adore these cool skinny pencils because of the extra fun. Bic always attracts customer with different types of stationery, including such a colourful variety of pencils for children.
- The lead is hard, and doesn’t break easily
- Comes in variety of colours
- Breakage doesn’t cause splintering
- The eraser leaves no smudges and less eraser dust
- They require hard pushing on them
- The hand gets tired because of the continuous hard pushing
Bic Xtra-Fun is perfect for both adults and children. Writing is smooth, in addition, the eraser leaves no smudges. However, the hard lead makes you need to press on it for better writing, thus the hand might become tired.
An unusual feature is the bendy body. It can be a crucial requirement in order to choose the best option for young students, since the class won’t be interrupted by the constant sound of a sharpener.
Carpenter Pencil of “Graphite Pen & Pencil”
Just a perfect match! “Best pencil for carpenter” is exactly the greatest pencil for engineers, electricians, and for all those who have uses for it not just on paper.
- Lead is soft
- Smooth writing on any surface
- Lead is well-centered in the barrel made of wood
- They can be easily cut by a knife without any breakage
- The sharpened lead lasts for a long time
- Doesn’t fit into a regular sharpener
- They split down the middle lengthwise because of the bad gluing
However, the price is reasonably attractive, which allows you to buy a pack of highly rated pencils. Thus, don’t worry about breakage as another pencil from the package will save your time!
Frequently Asked Questions
Customers usually have the same questions about choosing a really good pencil, and most of them are repeated constantly. For instance, customers are always concerned about the product’s origin, what are they made from, and how they are made. Some questions are equally important: what is the best one for writing and which is a wooden pencil brand, are they top quality pencils, etc. All the answers will be answered below.
What Are the Popular Pencil ? Brands?
The most popular brands are based in Europe, the USA, and China. And it’s tough to find the best writing tool matching all your requirements, especially when there are thousands on the market. Here are some well-known companies which have proved to be effective among the other popular brands:
- Faber Castell;
Those brands are frequently used by customers and receive excellent ratings from millions of fans all over the world. But still there are lots of manufacturers that are gaining and trying to become the world’s best pencil producer.
What Is the Best ? Type of Pencil for Writing?
Everybody has faced the problem when a pen splits or fractures at the wrong moment. Or when the timber stick has to be sharpened, interrupting others with an irritating sound. Here are some tips which will help you to find the perfect device:
- smoothness is the first quality which has to be ideal. There mustn’t be any scratchy feeling or even a sound;
- the darkness can be adjustable, but simultaneously without any additional pressing on it;
- no smudges must appear on the paper after accidental hand moves;
- no dirt smears after erasing.
In addition to aforementioned, the shape of the body has to be comfortable. Luckily, producers generally keep the customer happy with this feature.
Are All Wooden Pencils Number 2?
The answer is no. It depends on the producer. There are two types of scales which indicate the hardness and blackness. The first one is a numeric scale, and mostly Americans are familiar with it. Depending on the number imprinted on thel barrel, which shows the level of blackness and hardness, 9 is the highest grade. It means it has the hardest core and makes the lightest writing ?. Number 2 graphite shows middle grade, means not too hard and not too soft – just right. That is why number 2 is the universal graphite and everybody has it.
The second scale is literal. The softness and hardness is indicated by letters: H-hard and B-black and soft. These letters can be also preceded with digits from 1 to 9, which indicate the grade. Number 2 pencil equals HB graphite.
The HB scale is well-known and is a widely-spread scale outside the USA.
What Wooden Pencil Can You Use for LSAT?
There is no common opinion about which writing tool exactly has to be brought to take the LSAT, except it is stated how many no 2 pencils the student ?? has to have. Here are some possible options that might help out:
- Ticonderoga original;
- Black Ticonderoga;
- Palomino Blackwing 620;
- Staedtler Rally;
- Staedtler Norica;
- Staedtler Lumograph;
- Mitsubishi 9850.
Those are the most popular among test-takers. However, this list is not complete and can be replenished with individual favorites.
What’s a Number 1 Pencil?
The number 1 pencil is not restricted, but still all teachers include no. 2 on their supply list ✅. And lots of users have to ask themselves whether the number 1 pencil even exists. Why is this so?
According to the numeric graphite scale, no. 1, also known H, means harder and lighter than no 2. The core thickness also varies from the number imprinted on the barrel.
Which Is Better: Wooden Pencil Vs Mechanical
When comparing wooden vs mechanical, the second is better: it requires less effort to change lead, makes more precise lines, and needs no sharpener.
Artists prefer to use just wooden devices: natural material can be sharpened up to a metal ferrule. But it can’t be recycled, it requires more firm storage such a box, and thus, the pencil ratings are low. So what makes people buy them?
However, the charm of holding a wooden pencil in hand ✍ will never be lost in time.
Some Interesting Facts
A long time has passed between using a stick to write on wax boards and the creation of the ball-pen, which served human’s need to create stories.
- The origin of word “pencil” is the French word “pincel” which means “paint brush,” and the Latin word “penicillus” meaning “short tail.”
- The most expensive pencil is the limited edition of Graf von Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil, which costs almost 13,000 US Dollars.
- Bendable pencils aren’t soft wood pencils, as they seem, but instead are made of graphite and plastized fractions for the core, and co-extruded wood for the barrel.
Have you ever wondered about such things? Here are some important facts which will help you to find the best pencil.
What Wood Is Used for Pencils?
The best wood pencil is considered to be made from cedar. Sometimes, manufacturers can use White fir, Basswood, or Poplar as the barrel of the device. Try to avoid extruded plastic, as well as pitted and tropical wood. If the wood smells badly, just replace the device.
What Is the Biggest Pencil in the World?
Ashrita Furman created the biggest pencil in the world, setting the World Record in 2007. Its weight is 18,000 pounds, and its length is more than 76 feet.
Best Way to Hold a Pencil for Good Handwriting
When teaching young learners the best way to hold the writing device, mind these instructions which will save your time and make the learning process more relaxed:
- your feet should be placed on the floor and your posture should be straight;
- the thumb and index fingers are used to hold a device;
- while the middle finger is used to support the device;
- the index finger is on top of the device;
- the pad of the hand is firmly placed on the paper.
These instructions will help you in case you teach a child holding with a tripod grip. But there is one more option for holding a pencil – with 4 fingers. The difference is just in holding all three fingers by the fourth – the ring finger.
Use these easy steps, and the child will never complain about cramps or becoming numb in the hand. And if this happens, don’t waste your time and instead do these exercises which will prevent you from getting bad symptoms:
- try to drop and flip the pencil holding it with just the thumb and index fingers;
- put a plastic or a squeezed paper ball in the palm.
These tips will help you to stay more active, relieve pain in the hand, and leave your hand ready for new challenges.
How to Store a Wooden Pencil?
To keep utensils in constant order and keep them properly functioning, it is strongly recommended to store all those made of timber utensils in a case or a plastic bag. Thus, the wear will be much less than leaving them just in the sun. They also should be kept out of fire and out of water to prevent soaking.
How Many Pencils Are There in the World?
It’s a very curious question. It is known that 2 billion pencils are produced only in the United States. According to statistics, 14 billion are made in the world in a year, thus if there had been a line of them, it would have covered the Earth more than ten times.
Nowadays, hundreds of brands try to attract more customers. However, the ingredients in each are slightly different from others. Enjoying the perfect product is always worth uncountable thoughts and hours of surfing the Internet in search of the best of the best.
Please refer to the brief instructions above which will guide you and assist you with finding the perfect pencil for you. Good luck!