Important documents should be handled with protection and care.
How is your filing system doing? If you have trouble finding a specific document or have several files that contain similar information, this is high time to bring order to this chaos. There is an incredible array of file folders that will help organize any paper mess.
Many hours have been spent reviewing the modern market of file folders and analyzing customers’ reviews to present you with the best selection of products. This post features the best 9 picks highly rated by users for their quality and versatility.
Top 9 File Folders from Best to Worth
|Rank||Review||Name||Type||Dimensions||Amount of Folders||Rating|
|Standard||9.5" x 11.6"||200||9.8|
|Standard||8.5" x 11"||250||9.7|
|3||Blue Summit Supplies|
|Hanging||9.2’’ x 11.69’’ x 2’’||25||9.4|
|Standard||9.9’’ x 12’’||50||9.3|
|Standard||9.5’’ x 12.5’’||12||9.2|
|Standard||9.5’’ x 12.5’’||6||9.1|
|Standard||9.5’’ x 11.5’’||25||9.0|
|Expanding||9" x 13" x 1.6"~27||1 (24 pockets)||8.8|
|Standard||9.5’’ x 11.5’||25||8.7|
Smead Paper Folders with Single-Ply Tab
These manila folders are one more budget way to organize your papers. They come in a large quantity, which is suitable for college or a big office with lots of employees. They feature 1/3-cut tabs in various positions to fit both lateral and vertical filing systems. Each item expands to 3/4’’ to accommodate more paper. The product is SFI certified and contains post-consumer and recycled materials.
- Easy to index and organize
- Come in a variety of tab sizes and cuts
- A fair price
- Made from recycled content
- A little flimsy
- The sharp edges can cause paper cuts
Pendaflex® Everyday File Folders
Pendaflex is a brand of TOPS Products, a trusted U.S. manufacturer of organizational supplies. These letter-size file folders feature 1/3-cut tabs in various positions. They fit the dimensions of standard documents and are perfect for daily filing needs (keeping a homework assignment or tests). They come in a large quantity, which helps put papers in order in the whole office. The manila paper is durable and can stand up to harsh treatment.
- Come in a bulk pack
- An excellent price
- Can be easily read in a vertical or horizontal position
- Easy to label
- The items arrive bent as they are packaged loose in a large box
- Thin paper
Blue Summit Supplies Hanging File Folders
These file folders are specially designed to hold bulky files like product manuals, booklets, or medical charts. Each item has a flat bottom construction that is reinforced with cardboard and able to support a number of files. They come in 5 primary colors and can be used for color-coded organization of documents. These items are equipped with coated metal rods and offer smooth sliding on the filing cabinet hangers and saving the space. No more overloaded binders that usually clog your file cabinet!
- The extra width is helpful for filing thick documents
- Available in bright and cheerful colors (5 of each color)
- Come with blank paper and 30 plastic tab inserts
- Allow the users to see the top of the folders
- The hooks are not heavy-duty
Oxford Two-Pocket Folders in Assorted Colors
These twin-pocket folders are made of textured paper and have an interior die-cut business card holder. This texture allows hiding occasional smears and marks left on the case. This type of paper organization is helpful for conference handouts with a capacity to hold up to 50 information sheets per each pocket. They are also suitable for educational materials, professional projects, and for home use like collecting receipts.
- Made of recycled fiber
- Have a pocket for business cards
- A variety of rainbow colors
- The material is steady
- The pockets are not very expandable
Youngever Heavy Duty Plastic Pocket Folders
These folders from Youngever are made of heavy-duty plastic. This means it will protect your documents from moisture and tears and will suffer from less deformation than the items made of paper. With reinforced edges, they are able to hold up to 135 sheets. They have 2 pockets inside and come in 6 vibrant colors (2 items of each color). They can easily hold students’ works or a company portfolio with no fear that the recipient will lose any files in transit.
- Strong and hard plastic
- An excellent price
- A nice color selection
- An economical purchase
- Very slick inside so that the papers may go flying
Five Star Folders with Useful Information Inside
These folders from Five Star have a laminated surface, which makes them water-resistant and protects documents from accidental spills. They come in assorted colors and contain 4 pockets (2 vertical and 2 horizontal) for the ultimate paper support. Each item is 3-hole punched and allows a user to store it in a binder.
The reference material printed inside includes rulers, a multiplication table, and various conversion charts, which come handy at school.
- Contain useful information for quick reference
- A lot of storage pockets
- Made of a waterproof material
- Can be used in a 3-ring binder
- Sturdy but flexible
- Only a few items in a pack
- A little large to fit in a regular 3-ring binder
FILE-EZ Two-Pocket Folders Made in the USA
FILE-EZ has been manufacturing these folders since 1950. Performed in assorted colors, they are made of embossed and matte finish paper, which has a professional look and keeps documents from folds.
They have a 2-pocket design and offer a provision for a business card. The pockets are deep (5’’) and able to hold up to 30 paper sheets. Made of a continuous material, they are not glued in the centerfold and allow for the fuss-free insertion of documents.
- Includes a 4-corner business card holder
- The pocket corners have relief cuts for increased reliability
- Made of quality textured paper, which is also flexible
- The pockets are spacious
- Some users still need a seal between pockets and find this a flaw
- Business cards are difficult to insert in the slot
VICNOVA Expanding File Folders Box with Cover
VICNOVA offers an expandable file organizer, which includes 24 separate colorful pockets. Each pocket is able to enlarge its capacity if more paper is put inside.
This accordion-type case has a cover to protect papers from slipping out. There is an ergonomic handle hole that gives better support when the item is expanding. The front page of the case features 2 transparent card slots.
- A high capacity to accommodate a lot of papers
- A portable design
- Plastic keeps documents protected from moisture
- The cover is very flexible
- The pockets are not deep enough, and the pages cover the tabs
- May collapse occasionally
New Generation Pocket Folders for Any Presentation
These portfolio-type folders are made of laminated cardboard, which is heavy-duty and durable. They include 2 inner horizontal pockets and a die-cut business card holder. The items are rather spacious and can hold up to 50 sheets. Though they have a gloss finish, they don’t attract fingerprints. They have a professional look and can be labeled with your company’s information.
- Made of a sturdy material, which is tear-resistant
- Available in fresh colors
- Have a pocket for business cards
- Contain no logos, printing, or barcode stickers
- Difficult to tell which side is the front and which edge is the top
- It takes time to insert a card into the cutout
Guide for Choosing Best File Folder
With correct supplies at hand, this is easier to stay organized at home and office. Choosing the best folders for your needs is of paramount importance because these things are able to accommodate and sort out millions of loose papers spread around the house/office. This guide will show you which options to consider when choosing a proper file folder.Step 1: Type of Folder
The basic parameter to take into consideration is the type of a folder, which is also dependent on its function. All items fall into:
- Standard. These are traditional folders for everyday use, which are made of paper.
- Fastener. They have fasteners to secure papers inside.
- Classification. These folders are usually made of thicker materials. They have fasteners and dividers that create additional space for filing.
- Hanging. They include metal rods with hooks to hang them in a desk drawer.
- File jackets. These items come with enclosed sides to keep the documents from slipping out.
- Expanding/accordion files. They provide individual sections for papers and come in a variety of expansions.
You may come across more types, but these are the most important and basic ones.Step 2: Choose the Right Size
File folders are typically available in 2 sizes: legal (9.5’’ x 14.5’’) and letter (9’’ x 12’’). These sizes refer to the dimensions of a document that is inside but not to the size of a case itself. The height of file folders varies and can be chosen up to users’ needs:
|Interior height||Standard height||Guide height|
|The interior height is shorter than a hanging file. If you want to see the tabs inside, you have to open a hanging folder.||The interior height is the same as that of a hanging file folder.||This height is greater than a hanging file folder. The tabs are visible above the edge of a hanging file folder.|
As some items come with an expansion, their width can also be increased to 3.5, 5.25, or 7 inches.Step 3: Tabs
File folders come with various tab options. Regarding their location, they may be top tab or end tab cases:
- The top tabs are located on the top of each item. They are used for desk filing and come in a variety of positions and sizes (1/2, 1/3, 2/5 cuts, and others).
- The end tabs are found on the side of a folder. They are designed for shelf files and come only in one size (the entire envelope height).
You may also notice straight cut folders, which have 1 single tab that runs across the entire edge of an item.Step 4: Material
The file folders made of pressboard are more durable. Those that are manufactured of polypropylene are ideal for constant use and can protect papers from water, ink, and tear.
Special archival folders are made of acid-free materials and can be stored without fading or yellowing.Step 5: Color
Colored items may be used for color-coded organization of papers. They are available either in primary or vibrant shades.
Kraft folders have a natural brown color and are resistant to smudging, and popular manila folders are usually buff-colored.
What Is a File Folder ??
A file folder is an item that holds papers, documents, money, booklets, magazines, receipts, tax records, bills, etc. It consists of a sheet of stiff paper or plastic folded in half and may include additional pockets.
What Size Is a File Folder?
To accommodate professional and personal correspondence, file folders come in a variety of sizes. The most commonly used sizes ? are legal and letter ones.
|Letter size||Legal size|
|Commonly used by business people/salesmen for marketing/design needs||Has customization options (expansion pockets, flash drive/CD holders, and others)|
|Provides flexibility||Easy to transport and present|
|Commonly used by lawyers, real estate agents, contractors||Less customizable and versatile|
There are also photo-size cases made to fit 4’’ x 6’’, 5’’ x 7’’, and 8’’ x 10’’ photographs. They are a couple of inches larger than the actual size of the photo.
How to Use File Folder Tabs?
Before setting up an effective filing system, answer the question ❓ first. Where are you planning to store your records: on a shelf or in a drawer?
|Top tab system||End tab system|
|The tabs are easily readable when kept in a drawer||There are lots of files to store|
|There is a small amount of records to store||Easy to transport and present|
|You prefer hanging folders||You have limited office space|
|The number of personnel in your office is limited||Many people have access to the files|
|A less costly system|
To optimize your filing system, use a color-coded indexing method, which is both efficient and eye-catching. Mixing between left, right, and center tabs will also help find the document you are looking for.
What Are File Folders Made of?
These items are made of paper ? or cardstock. To make them more durable, most manufacturers produce them from paper pulp, which includes cellulose fiber, laminated paper, or plastic.
Where to Buy File Folders?
Most file folders can be purchased in traditional stores that sell stationery. Besides that, each manufacturer has an official website where these office supplies are sold via online stores. Large online ? traders like Amazon, Staples, Walmart, and Office Depot offer a tremendous variety of folders for sale as well.
At first sight, a file folder may seem an insignificant product, like a small insect in the enormous world of contemporary stationery, that is destined to spend the majority of its life in dark depths of a drawer.
However, this is one of the most frequently used office supplies. Since you come across them almost every day, this is important to buy a first-class and durable product. With this report, you can select quality folders that will help you put your papers in order, attract a potential client during a presentation, or receive a new job after an interview, making a good impression with an eye-catching portfolio.
- File Folder – https://en.wikipedia.org/
- A Guide to Standard US Pocket Folder Dimensions – http://resources.printhandbook.com/
- How to Set Up an Effective Filing System – https://www.smead.com/
- Buying Guide: File Folder Basics – https://www.oexusa.com/