It is essential to keep your drawing instruments in the best shape. Don’t allow a blunt pencil drive you away from brilliant ideas. In order to help you buy the right electric sharpener, WoWPencils has chosen the top models based on unit specifications that are highly rated by customers. With this review, you can weigh all the pros and cons of each appliance and find that unique device which will take care of your beloved writing tools. We are sure you will have luck in your search.
Top Rated Electric Pencil Sharpeners
OfficeWorld Electric Pencil Sharpener (Fully Automatic)
If it’s necessary to sharpen a lot of pencils outside without any electricity connection, then this electric pencil sharpener from OfficeWorld must be the best. The thing is that it’s fully rechargeable and is powered by a 2000 mAh lithium battery, which is quite a lot. At the same time, it works absolutely the same as the stationary pieces.
The device has a heavy-duty construction, so it works almost with all types of pencils including even charcoal and colored ones. Basically, this is due to its settings that adjust the size of a pencil point so a core won’t crumble. Besides, there are no buttons that launch or stop the sharpening process, but once you put the pencil inside, it shuts on automatically and shuts off when you pull the pencil out.
Another advantage is its container where all the shavings go. It’s really capacious and convenient to clean.
- It sharpens really fast
- The ability to adjust the nib size
- A capacious container for shavings
- A rechargeable long-lasting battery
- It may be too challenging to sharpen a pencil just a little because the device starts works too fast
This electric pencil sharpener manufactured by JARLINK is a good choice for school, office work, and for home use. It has a steel blade that is able to sharpen a pencil in 5 seconds.
The adaptable power source is one of the features that attracts users most of all. The tool is powered either by AC or by 4 AA batteries, which makes it flexible to carry around. The package includes a USB cord and AC adapter.
The sharpener starts working when a pencil is plugged into the entrance and stops automatically after the sharpening is finished. The auto-stop system protects pencil lead and ensures gentle sharpening. The device fits pencils with a 6-8 mm diameter. This shaving entrance prevents fingers from being hurt.
- Makes fine points, not too sharp
- Has an overheating protection system
- It is small and takes up less room on the desk
- Works with 3 different types of power
- Bigger than other brands offer
- Auto-stop and auto-work mechanisms
- Doesn’t work with thicker pencils
- Very loud operation
- Has a small capacity for shavings, and has to be emptied frequently
- A little underpowered when used on batteries
- Takes a lot of time to process a brand-new pencil
X-ACTO School Pro Electric Pencil Sharpener
X-ACTO is a famous manufacturer of sharpeners. This model has been specially developed to be used in classrooms. The device comes with a nice blue and grey design and has a solid construction able to withstand continuous use. It is very safe and stops automatically when the pencil tip is sharpened. This also allows diminishing the pencil waste.
The unit uses helical cutters and provides rounded tips that are not extremely sharp. It is adjustable for 6 various pencil sizes. On the bottom, it features non-skid suction cups, which make the device sturdy and help reduce the noise. The integrated container for shavings is transparent and allows users to check the amount of waste.
The appliance is engineered for busy environments and works very quietly without disturbing the audience.
- A heavy-duty construction
- Quiet operation
- Efficient performance
- Produces safe tips
- The receptacle for shavings is rather big and easy to empty
- The auto-reset function prevents overheating
- Able to process colored pencils
- Accepts pencils of different sizes
- Has a 10-year warranty
- The electric cord is rather long
- When the lead breaks and becomes stuck inside the sharpener, you need to take the machine apart with a screwdriver to get the lead
- May sharpen the pencils off-center
Officeline Ultra-Portable Pencil Sharpener
Officeline is a famous manufacturer of quality stationery supplies that make your work and life easier. The sharpener under discussion developed by the brand is a good option for school. It is lightweight and runs on batteries that make it very comfortable to use on the go.
The device stops the blades automatically when the pencil is sharpened and won’t work if the waste container is removed.
The machine is equipped with a helical steel blade that is stronger than standard flat blades. It comes with a vertical ergonomic design that makes it comfortable to hold and dump the shavings.
- Portable and compact
- Arrives with batteries
- Can sharpen color and golf pencils
- The auto stop function
- The shavings tray is transparent
- The body is easy to grip
- Makes a uniform point each time
- Requires 4 AA batteries to work
- A little noisy
School Smart: Best for Colored Pencils
School Smart is the brand that always offers quality products at affordable prices. This vertical plug-in pencil sharpener is a reliable tool for all educators who face sharpening challenges every day.
The tool is easy and quick at work. It is equipped with the convenient auto-stop and fast-operating mechanism for making perfect pencil tips. The receptacle for shavings is big enough and easy to empty. It is transparent and allows for checking the amount of debris.
The sharpener has a contemporary design and comes in two sleek colors – black and grey. It includes rubber pads for stable and non-skid operation.
- Zero lead breakage
- Leaves long, sharp points
- Sharpens rapidly
- Pencils are pressed down, not forward, which is more comfortable
- Has a transparent reservoir for shavings
- Very firm
- Doesn’t work with all types of pencils
- Emptying requires you to hold the whole device over the trash basket
- Very loud operation
AFMAT Varipoint: Good for Classroom
This plug-in pencil sharpener developed by AFMAT is an ideal variant for classrooms. It is equipped with a heavy-duty blade made of steel for precise and fast work. It is durable enough to sharpen 6000 pencils. The device is very powerful and easily makes fine pencil tips in 3-5 seconds.
The tool has a slide shift for sharpness selection – blunt, medium, and sharp. It is ideal for making fine points, suitable for detailed works, and making more safe points for kids.
With the auto-stop system, the device stops working when the pencil is properly sharpened. The base is non-skid, which makes the tool very stable.
- Attractive and elegant design
- Very quiet operation
- Quick sharpening
- 3 settings to select the level of sharpness
- Makes long and sharp tips
- Stops automatically when the pencil is sharp
- Non-skid feet at the bottom
- Doesn’t sharpen symmetrically
- The reservoir for debris should be emptied more often
- Not suitable for all types of pencils
- The sharpness switch is flimsy and can change the setting to another
- More expensive than other brands
Artist’s Choice: Most Quiet Sharpener
This compact pencil sharpener offered by Artist’s Choice runs on 4 AA batteries, which makes it very convenient and mobile. Due to its small size, the tool easily fits any desk and is very comfortable for outdoor work.
The high-grade stainless cutter ensures sharp and smooth tips every time. This tool can easy compete with any mounted sharpener. It ensures quality sharpening and minimal lead breakage.
All shavings are caught in a nifty reservoir, which is easy to empty. It has a lip, which holds the remnants until you shake them out.
- Battery powered for higher mobility
- Sharpens very fast
- Small and light-weight for outdoor use
- The blade minimizes broken lead tips
- Quiet operation
- Good compromise between power and cost
- The sawdust container is small and holds minimal shavings
- No plug-in option to save on batteries
- The body has a tendency to spin out during work, so you should hold it down
- One side of wood is not shaved off
- The motor is not powerful enough to handle sharpening a brand-new pencil
Bostitch QuietSharp™ 6: Great for Teachers
Due to the extra-hardened cutter manufactured by Bostitch engineers, this sharpener turns a brand-new pencil to a pointed one in less than 4 seconds. High-grade stainless steel is able to sharpen thousands of times with no wearing out. Super-quality sharpening along with fast operation makes this tool indispensable for teachers, in order not to focus everyone’s attention on this process.
The inner protection from overheating allows sharpening a number of pencils without taking a break. The auto-stop mechanism pulls the cutters back when the pencil is sharpened. The tool has a transparent container for remnants, which takes a number of shaving circles to fill up.
This plug-in device works with various types of pencils. There is a 6-size selector with holes to sharpen various sizes.
This model ensures safety in any classroom environment and stops when the tray is removed. It is a perfect variant for industrial or personal use.
- Fits various sizes of pencils
- Sharpens without breaking the points
- The reservoir for shavings is big and rarely needs emptying
- Auto-stop system
- Thermal overload protection
- Stall–free and fast operation mode
- Has a suction cup feet for stability
- A little loud
- Rather large construction
OfficeGoods: Fine for Prismacolor Pencils
This sharpener developed by OfficeGoods features three ways to be powered. It runs on AA batteries, USB cord, and has an AC adapter (both included). As it works well on batteries, it can be taken everywhere you want with no electric outlet. It is an ideal variant for those who don’t like the clutter of cords.
The device is very compact and takes up little desk space. The tool fits for sharpening both colored and graphite pencils. It works easily with Prismacolor, Bruynzeel, Derwent, and the Faber-Castell Polychromos.
If you don’t want your pencil tips to be super sharp, choose between a sharp, medium, and blunt setting.
The process of sharpening is very fast, and stainless blades ensure fine pencil points. The tool is equipped with an auto-stop system, which shuts off when the pencil cover is removed.
OfficeGoods has an exceptional customer service, and are always ready to help their clients.
- Works with three different types of power
- Three settings to select the level of sharpness
- Compact and portable unit
- Attractive design
- Suitable for various types of pencils
- Friendly customer service
- The motor is weak
- The unit is very light and prone to move
- Very noisy
- Shavings are difficult to remove
- It doesn’t always sharpen all sides evenly
PowerMe: Ideal for School
The combination of high-grade materials and beautiful design makes this electric sharpener from PowerMe the best choice to be used in schools. Due to its vertical shape, the tool saves much space and suits any desk size.
It is also a good portable variant, because the device runs on batteries. The wireless factor gives an additional plus to its features.
The sharpener is equipped with stainless ultra-durable blades, which need no replacement and ensure a fast sharpening. The tool gives up to 3000 possible sharpening cycles and takes only several seconds to process one pencil.
When the lid is open, the auto-stop mechanism prevents the tool from working and makes it super-safe for kids.
The transparent reservoir for shavings is rather big and doesn’t need to be cleaned too frequently.
- Runs on batteries, which makes it portable
- Beautiful and elegant look
- See-through shaving collector
- Auto-stop safety system
- Lightweight and compact
- Doesn’t work with all types of pencils
- A little loud
- Not very powerful
- It may spin and doesn’t grip the desk
TripWorthy: Recommended for Home
This sharpening option has been offered by TripWorthy in 2018 and runs on 4 AA batteries. The sharpener is cordless, which makes the unit portable and easy to move around the house or outdoors.
The auto-stop safety system makes this item ideal for classrooms. If any part of the sharpener is disassembled, the device stops operating.
The tool is great in performance and durability. It makes very fine points for detailed artworks in no time. The sharpener is very lightweight and small. It takes up little room on the desk.
- Compact design
- Battery operated
- Lightweight and portable
- The cup for shavings is transparent
- Easy to handle
- Works relatively quietly
- Best only for colored pencils and #2 pencils
- The batteries may be misaligned and have no connection (install them correctly)
- Uneven sharpening
- The container for remnants is not easy to open
- Makes extremely sharp points, which tend to break
|Review||Product Name||Power||Auto Stop|
Zmol Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener
This electric sharpener is designed by a popular stationery brand Zmol. The unit is versatile and accepts pencils with various diameters (6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 mm) and various shapes (triangular or hexagonal). Its quality helical blade produces sharp and even points at the fast speed: 4 seconds per each pencil. The machine is very stable thanks to the suction cups on the bottom.
It features auto start and stop functions: the blade starts working when you insert a medium into the entrance and stops when the drawing tool is sharp enough.
The machine works well with colored, graphite, pastel, charcoal, and watercolor pencils.
- Fast sharpening speed
- Automatic start and stop for safe use and prevention from over-sharpening
- A durable construction of metal and ABS plastic
- Accepts various media
- Easy to check when the unit requires emptying
- A compact design
- The electric cord is not long
- Works loudly
There are so many models of electric sharpeners available on the market, which make it a difficult choice for customers to pick a unit that they really want. What is the best automatic sharpener? Here is a list of key features, which are important to consider before making a purchase:
We hope you will find these tips useful, because a properly chosen sharpener can extend the lifespan of your pencils (especially of those that exceed the cost of a sharpening device). Pay attention to the warranty, because in most cases it coves a free tool replacement.
Obsessed with the idea of buying a good electric sharpener? All people are curious about the same things. Here are a few typical questions that are commonly asked by customers in art stores.
What Is Electric Pencil 🖍 Sharpener?
The electric pencil sharpener is a tool used for sharpening a pencil point by shaving a wooden cover around its lead. These appliances have a special reservoir where the shavings are collected. The automatic appliance makes the sharpening process easier and gives a uniform result.
How Does Electric Pencil Sharpener Work?
Electric sharpeners are used with lead pencils to sharpen or refresh their points. Inside the appliance, there is an electric motor, which rotates the blade at high speed. The motor is powered by batteries 🔋 or mains.
The pencil is placed into the hole, and the razor blades remove wood and lead automatically making a pencil tip sharp.
Do Electric Sharpeners Cause Less Breakage to Pencils?
A lot of studies prove that manual sharpeners are more prone to damage pencils and break their lead. When you need to sharpen a whole set of expensive 💰 drawing materials, an electric sharpener is the best choice. It should be sturdy and heavy duty to perform the proper sharpening. Quality models are equipped with the auto-stop system, which prevents excessive blade rotations when the pencil is sharp enough.
Manual mechanical sharpening is usually used for crayons and makeup pencils.
How Long ⏳ Do Electric Pencil Sharpeners Last?
The term of use depends on the model of a sharpener. Metal appliances are usually very durable. Their components are made of quality materials, which are less prone to breakage. The proper maintenance helps electric sharpeners last longer if the following instructions are observed:
- empty the shavings cup regularly to avoid jamming;
- use the proper type of drawing tools recommended for your appliance;
- use a brush 🖌 to clean the blades;
- insert pencils straight into the shaving entrance;
- check the batteries regularly and replace them if needed.
Try not to use the cheapest drawing tools. Some brands may have a core, which is not properly centered. No matter what technique is used for sharpening, the sharpened point will never be in the center. This fact may also affect the correct work of your appliance.
Interesting Facts That Are Worth to Know
Sharpen your brain with these amusing facts about sharpeners:
- The first electric sharpeners have been invented since 1917. They were very heavy and expensive. They have become commercially available for population since 1940.
- Sharpeners for wax crayons have plastic blades, which are more suitable for soft wax.
- Sharpeners may be left- and right-handed and require either clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation.
- Housings for sharpeners may be developed in various designs, like animals, automobiles, or Christmas images, and are often available as collectibles or souvenirs.
You are free to share other interesting and cool details about these inventions.
Pencils are one of the oldest writing tools ever used in the world. Sharpening an ancient friend of yours requires a decent device, while finding this device requires a true detective work.
With all the options presented in the article, you can specify your needs from the top picks, which have been described. This list of the best electric pencil sharpeners will simplify your search and help in your next pencil sharpening adventure.